Des Moines Connection over the Raccoon River
This 793-foot long, 50-foot wide bridge with a five-foot sidewalk is composed of four concrete deck arch spans and seven concrete slab approach spans. Previous repairs performed by Shuck-Britson include stabilization of the pier footings after flooding in 1993, arch repairs, and expansion joint replacement.
We conducted a thorough inspection of the entire structure including an under bridge inspection to identify deficiencies. Findings were documented, and repair options were evaluated with recommendations and estimated costs in an evaluation report.
Major rehabilitation items included:
- Removal of the existing asphalt deck overlay and installation of a concrete deck overlay
- partial depth deck repairs
- Concrete repairs on approach slabs, sidewalk, and the barrier rails
- Concrete repairs to the piers
- Epoxy crack injection at pier columns
- Bearing repairs and painting
- Replacement of deck expansion joints at pier locations
- Extension of existing deck drains to prevent drainage onto the levee below the bridge
The completed repairs are providing the City of Des Moines with many years of additional service from this bridge.